Licorice is a chewy, sweet treat that sweet tooths can’t get over. Licorice has been enjoyed time and time again for a long time. And because of its long history, this candy has been consumed by many people all over the world. So, with licorice candy being so delicious, it makes you wonder: who eats the most licorice in the world?
Before we answer that, let’s share some fun facts about this tasty treat that you might’ve not known about.
- Licorice comes from a plant that is native to Turkey, Asia, and Greece. Its taste comes from the root of the licorice plant.
- Licorice can be found in tobacco, skin care products, and even makeup.
- The natural sweetener in the licorice plant is 50 times sweeter than sugar. It’s called Glycyrrhizin.
- National Licorice Day falls on April 12th
- French leader Napoleon Bonaparte was known to have enjoyed licorice so much that his teeth turned black.
Just some fun facts about licorice. Now on to the main event! Licorice is a favorite of every nation in the world. But one country can boast of having the highest consumption of licorice all over. That country is The Netherlands!
That’s right, this European country boasts the highest per capita consumption of licorice in the world. Each of its citizens is reported to eat more than 4 pounds of licorice candy per year! That’s a sweet record.
Want to enjoy this yummy treat that so many others love? Visit our store and order authentic licorice that you and your family will love.